Mobile Page Speed and Optimization: An Imperative for 2018
By Sam Farraj (LinkedIn)
We all know that the speed of the webpages we serve to our visitors is critical in driving positive brand experiences, time on site and repeat visits and therefore revenue. There’s another important factor that is page speed impacts, and that’s your Search results. Google uses the speed of your website as an important ranking factor in determining search results. This not only applies to desktop pages but as of July 2018, the Google “Speed Update”, will go into effect and will use page speed as a variable in determining mobile search rankings.
The goal of the Google Speed Update is to help drive better overall mobile experiences. Google is not offering a standalone tool for web publishers to help them get ready for this shift, but has highlighted a number of resources that can provide general insights about site performance:
- Chrome User Experience Report, which offers user experience metrics for popular web destinations;
- Lighthouse, an automated tool for auditing site performance and other web quality metrics; and
- PageSpeed Insights, which shows how well a page performs on the Chrome UX Report and makes suggestions about how performance can be improved.
These tools can give insights into whether or not your site is performing poorly on mobile devices. If these tools indicate you may have an issue, then that’s where nuu:bit can help. Since the early days of nuu:bit we have realized the importance of mobile performance. We believe that nuu:bit leads the market in terms of innovative solutions designed to enhance site performance and we are sure this is the case when it comes to mobile performance. Here are some of the nuu:bit offerings designed to enhance mobile performance:
- One of our original core technologies DOTS (Dynamically Optimized Transport System) was developed to be a content-agnostic solution to enhanced mobile delivery.
- The nuu:bit Mobile SDK provides a set of libraries to enable developers to accelerate content delivery for applications running on the mobile devices. It helps increase your App’s MAU and DAU, accelerating your app’s speed, security, and end-to-end control from the ingress point of the nuu:bit platform all the way to the true edge — the end-user device.
- Image Optimization is critical in mobile site performance. The nuu:bit Image Optimization uses WURFL Device Description Repository to determine the optimal image size and format for the particular device requesting the page. Our customers show improved page load times in excess of 60% using this service.
So consider nuu:bit the experts in mobile performance. We know you’ll get excellent results on both mobile and desktop with the nuu:bit service. Please reach out and we’d be happy to set a free trial – let’s get going before July!